Friday, August 17, 2012

Kenneth Holmes Cribbins

I have been living with my Grandparents on and off since I was a child. I spent a summer with them and went to summer school in Los Gatos area when I was about 10. It was a wonderful summer for me. It was one of the best times of my life. No one really knew this (but neighbors suspected) but my home life wasn't the best. My Grandfather was the first man to be nice to me. Truly and honestly nice to me. I didn't understand this at the time. He was always supportive of me, my mother, my aunt and my Grandmother. He was also supportive of my sisters and my brother.

I've really gotten to know them over the last 12 years since I moved near them in 2000. I was living in Long Beach, CA, going to school. I need a change, I was deeply depressed. So I moved to Henderson, NV into my Grandparents house until I found a place of my own (a few months later). During this time, I have gotten to know my Grandparents pretty well.

My Grandfather use to tell me, you can believe in anything you want to believe in but be a good one. He use to have a lot of crazy ideas about different things. I would usually let him go on, every now and then, making a comment here and there.

My Grandfather believed in me. I never really understood this until recently. I had told them about an idea I had. I had been working on it on and off for the last year or so. I knew he thought it was a good and idea and supported it when he would help me. He would think of things on how I could solve an issue I was having with the idea. This meant a lot to me. I wish there was a way that I could have told him better than I did.

My Grandfather was born in San Mateo, CA in 1930. He was the youngest of 3 sons. His father was married to a woman and had a son. They passed away. His father than meet his mother, they married and had 2 sons. My Grandfather and his brother were best of friends. They both loved trains greatly. He liked doing things for his family. He started playing his piano per his mother at the age of 4. He played almost to the day he passed away.

He was a sporting goods wholesaler, milkman and a truck driver. He only did local trips so he could he close to his family. He also was a Free Mason, in Scottish Rite, a Shriner and a member of the Order of the Eastern Star. He really enjoyed playing the piano specially for his Masonic groups. He loved his family. He tried to be at as many of the big Masonic events as possible (joining, becoming an officer, etc). He was proud and excited when my brother joined Free Masonry.

It is a great loss when he passed away earlier this year. I've been doing my best with keeping his yard clean. Keeping the roses alive. Keeping the pool clean and a few other things. I do my best with assisting my my Grandmother with her needs. Certain family members make this difficult. They are self-righteous, arrogant, rude and nearly impossible to be around sometimes. But what are you going to do, they are family and for now, I will have to continue to deal with them. However, this will not last, I will stop talking to them and dealing with them in every way possible soon. I wish them the best in life. I love them, they are my family but toxic people are not needed in my life.

No comments: